Everyone has bad days.
Maybe you forgot about an appointment, overslept, or didn’t turn in your homework. Maybe it’s something of a greater weight. Whatever it is, you feel down and out.
When I have a day (or a week, or a month…) like this, I turn to one of the following to maybe not fix the problem, but give me a quick feel-better fix.
1. Puppies: There is a pet store near my college, and when myself or any of my girls are feeling poorly we make a quick trip to play and cuddle with the local pups.
2. Tea: I have a tea box. Not the wooden, restaurant-style ones with the hinged lids, but a box nonetheless. At current, it holds ten types of tea and one type of apple cider (in case I need a sugar fix). No matter what, a cup of tea makes my day a little brighter…a little warmer.
3. Favorite Snack: I keep a few bars of 70% dark chocolate around that are perfect for a quick fix. Sugar and caffeine that melts in your mouth? I find it hard to choose better. My trick: I place a square on my tongue and slowly let it melt as I count down until it’s gone.
4. Spritz of Perfume: Sometimes all it takes is a little squirt of smell-good to lift the spirits.
5. Retail Therapy: This does not always work (that’s when you know you have a real problem), but when it does, it works miracles. A new shade of lipstick or buttery leather flats can put some pep in your step like nothing else.
6. Nap/Sleep: Everything is better once you’ve mulled it over in your dreams. Nothing is as fierce the next day. Take an hour to yourself and leave your problems in the real world, focus on your own mental health, and pass the heck out.
I hope your day is going well, and if it isn’t, I hope it gets only better from here.